Quesadillas are one of my favorite foods that I can incorporate into any meal or snack throughout the day. This vegetarian option will fill you right up with the fiber and protein, while being a low calorie, healthy choice. If you’re looking for something extra with the quesadilla, try a low-fat sour cream to dip in. The broccoli and black bean quesadilla is a great way to increase your vegetable and dairy intake for the day without costing you the calories!
· 1 cup cooked black beans (1/2 can)
· ¼ cup salsa
· 1 cup grated low fat cheese (4 ounces)
· 1 cup cooked broccoli
· Cooking spray
· 4 8-inch whole wheat tortillas
1. Mash beans in a large mixing bowl.
2. Drain salsa and add to beans.
3. Grate cheese and add to beans.
4. Chop broccoli and add to beans.
5. Coat pan with cooking spray. Lay tortilla flat on plate, fill half tortilla with ¼ bean mixture. Fold other half over mixture.
7. Place folded tortilla in pan and cook 3 to 4 minutes, or until lightly browned. Flip and cook second slide.
8. Remove from pan and cut in half.
9. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
Variation: use 2 cups (1 15-oz can) of the black beans instead of just 1 cup.
Yield: About 8 quesadillas (half tortilla each)
Serving Size: 1 piece (1/2 tortilla), servings per recipe: 8, calories: 130, total fat: 4.5g, saturated fat: 2g, sodium: 230mg, total carbohydrate: 14g, dietary fiber: 2g, sugars: 1g, protein: 7g