Cauliflower is an incredibly versatile vegetable. Cauliflower can be mashed to mimic mashed potatoes, grated to have a texture similar to rice, prepared to use as an alternative to pizza crust, and now with this recipe, baked to resemble a tater tot with fewer calories.
According to the University of Maine extension, you should choose cauliflower that is white, compact, has very few brown spots and has bright green leaves. To store properly, you can place cauliflower in a plastic bag and then refrigerate for up to five days. And lastly, before consuming, make sure to wash the cauliflower!
2 cups cauliflower
3 tablespoons flour
¼ cup low-fat cheddar cheese
¼ teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit, spray a baking sheet or line a tray with parchment paper or foil.
2. Grate cauliflower on large holes of a box grater.
3. In a medium bowl, combine cauliflower, egg, flour, cheese, and salt; mix well.
4. Press mixture together to make about 15 small balls or logs; place on the baking sheet with space between each ball or log.
5. Bake for 20 minutes or until cooked through. For extra crispy tots, broil for an extra 2 minutes. Watch closely to avoid burning
6. Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
Serving Size: 5 tots
Servings per container: 3
Nutrition Facts: Calories - 70, total fat - 2.5g, saturated fat - 1g, sodium - 200mg, total carbohydrate: 8g
Dietary Fiber - 2g, sugars - 2g, protein - 5g.