We’re always looking for new ways to prepare the same vegetables. These zesty orange carrots provide a colorful burst of flavor that will leave you craving more. The combination of honey, orange, and cinnamon makes for a delicious and nutritious side dish.
While shopping for carrots, look for crisp, firm, deep orange-colored carrots without cracks. Store them in the refrigerator for one to two weeks, and always wash before consuming!
ZESTY ORANGE CARROTS
16 ounces carrots, peeled
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon butter or alternative spread
1 tablespoon parsley
1. Bring about 2 cups of water to a gentle boil in a saucepan
2. Add carrots and cinnamon. Cook for about 10 minutes, until just tender.
3. While carrots are cooking, wash an orange
4. Use a grater or sharp knife* to zest orange, then cut in half
5. Squeeze juice out of the orange (remove seeds)
6. When carrots are done, drain well
7. Add the honey, butter or alternative spread and orange zest and toss into mix. Serve while hot.
*If using a sharp knife to zest orange, cut the orange section off and avoid the white part as it will taste bitter. Cut the orange section into small slices.
Nutrition Facts: Total calories - 91; total fat - 3g; saturated fat - 1g; sodium - 95mg; carbohydrates - 16g; dietary fiber - 3g; total sugars - 11g; added sugars - 4g; protein - 1g.