One of the MyPlate recommendations is to make half of your grains whole grains, which we usually do by using whole wheat bread, brown rice, or whole wheat pasta as staple foods in our dishes. Another great way to add in some whole grain foods to your diet is through snacks! These baked tortilla chips count towards your daily whole grains, and allow you to add as much or as little flavoring as you’d like! Combine these chips with salsa, guacamole or some low-fat cheese and you have yourself a delicious, healthy snack.
· 2 whole grain corn tortillas (6 to 8 inches)
· 1/8 teaspoon salt (optional)
· ¼ teaspoon oil (optional) or cooking spray
· 1/8 teaspoon seasoning (try garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, chili powder, or a mixture) (optional)
1. Preheat oven to a temperature between 375 degrees and 450 degrees Fahrenheit
2. Brush oil on one side of each tortilla, or if using cooking spray, spray lightly.
3. Apply seasonings if desired.
4. Cut tortilla into 8 wedges, arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet.
5. Bake for 5 to 10 minutes depending on oven temperature, watch closely to avoid burning.
Serving size: 8 chips
Servings per container: 2
Total Fat: 1g
Total Carbohydrate: 15g
Dietary Fiber: 2g