Massena – Each year, the IRS joins partners nationwide to launch EITC Awareness Day and the Super Saturday outreach campaign to ensure that millions of low-and moderate-income workers get the credit they deserve.
The EITC, or earned income tax credit, is a refundable federal income tax credit for low- to moderate-income working individuals and families. To qualify, taxpayers must meet certain requirements and file a tax return, even if they did not earn enough money to be obligated to file a return.
Not every eligible taxpayer takes advantage of this opportunity. The IRS estimates that one out of every five eligible taxpayers fails to apply for this valuable credit.
To raise awareness and provide the opportunity for low- and moderate-income working individuals and families to have their income tax return prepared free of charge, SeaComm, in partnership with the Malone and Potsdam VITA sites, the Canton AARP site, students and faculty from SUNY Canton’s accounting and business programs and the IRS, is hosting free tax preparation during several Super Saturday Tax Events. Free tax preparation will be offered:
• Super Saturday – Feb. 1, at SeaComm’s Canton Branch from 12:30 to 4 p.m.
• Super Saturday – Feb. 8, at SeaComm’s Main Office from 8 to 11:30 a.m.
• Super Saturday – Feb. 8, at SeaComm’s Malone Branch from 1 to 5 p.m.
• Super Saturday – Feb. 22, at SeaComm’s Ogdensburg Branch from 8 a.m. to noon.
• Super Saturday – Feb. 22, at SeaComm’s Potsdam Branch from 1 to 5 p.m.
• Super Saturday – Feb. 29, at SeaComm’s Plattsburgh Branch from 1 to 4 p.m.
IRS-trained volunteers will be on hand to prepare returns for eligible workers. Financial service representatives from the credit union will be available to open accounts for individuals without an account and possibly provide loans for those who need their refund in a hurry.
Appointments for Super Saturday are required, as walk-ins will not be allowed. To make an appointment or for more information, call toll free 1-800-764-0566. Information is also available on the SeaComm website, www.seacomm.org.