Huskies settle for tie at home

Franklin Academy senior forward Emma Hesseltine broke the Huskies’ scoreless tie with Canton, with one minute remaining in Tuesday’s first overtime. But the Golden Bears’ Emily Estabrooks in the second frame of extra time found the net off a corner kick with 10 seconds left in the game to swipe the win away from Franklin Academy and knot the game at a final 2-2 tally. Vin Gallo/Malone Telegram

MALONE — Amongst a crowd of green and white shirts, down 2-1, Canton girls soccer’s Emily Estabrooks took aim at the net.

In the absence of senior defenders Elizabeth Dumas and Claudia LaPlant, the Huskies defense had wrestled the Golden Bears’ offense for 100 minutes. But those 100 minutes would materialize into a 2-2 draw, rather than a victory for Franklin Academy.

Two halves and two frames of extra time featuring a battle of attrition for momentum -- as well as a first overtime score from senior striker Emma Hesseltine -- came down to one final defensive stand for the Huskies.

But Canton executed a perfect quick kick from the flag.

“We were just going fast,” Estabrooks said.

The Huskies defense was able to get a cleat on Estabrooks’ attempt. Though it wasn’t enough to deter the ball from the net, as the shot passed the post threshold and struck upper nylon.

Franklin Academy would have to settle for a split with its rival.

“I don’t think we were ready to mark up,” Huskies head coach Terry Collins said. “They played their hearts out, they played a great game. So, I’ll take a tie.”

The Huskies, although depleted in the backfield, were pleased with how their backs played throughout the game. Sophomore Natalie Ashlaw, playing her first game as a defender, stopped a couple of potential Golden Bear open field runs, throughout regulation.

“I thought it was gonna be tough without both of them because they’re both pretty strong,” Hesseltine said. “But I think they (the defense) held it in just as well as our normal defense would have.”

Canton jumped on the board to tie the game at 1-1 at the game’s 45th minute, off an own-goal by the Huskies. Franklin Academy built an initial 1-0 lead at the match’s 20th minute, via a strike from Leanna Lewis, assisted by Hillary Baker.

The Golden Bears for the game registered four direct kicks and two corner kicks, to go with 18 shots on goal. Franklin Academy goalkeeper Gina Norcross helped keep Canton off the board with 15 saves. The Huskies made the most out of nine total shots on goal for the game.

Despite a difficult end to a hard fought game, Franklin Academy likes where it’s trending.

“I think our communication is a lot better than it was before,” Hesseltine said. “I feel like now, everyone on the team knows you have to pass it as soon as you get it. We’re moving it a lot faster up the field.”

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Johnson Newspapers 7.1


Recommended for you